What Makes Us Unique
In the case of patients who call in pain, or doctors’ offices which call with a patient who must be seen immediately:
- All such patients will be seen the same day.
- The referring doctor will receive a phone call that day when the patient is seen, so that we may discuss therapeutic options and formulate an appropriate treatment plan together.
- Therapy will be delivered either the same day or within twenty-four hours.
- It is important to realize that ideal therapy will be performed. For example, we will not simply remove a fractured tooth and allow the area to heal, subjecting the patient to bone resorption and a second surgical visit. When applicable, a fractured tooth will be removed and an implant placed at the time of tooth removal. In the esthetic zone, the referring dentist will often be able to temporize this implant at the same time. The net result is that a patient in pain is examined and treated ideally by both us and the referring doctor within twenty-four hours.
Immediate implant therapy:
- In specific situations where teeth are to be extracted and implants are to be placed, we perform the implant placement at the time of tooth extraction. Use of immediate implant therapy affords a number of advantages to the patient, including lessening the number of surgical visits, minimizing bone resorption, and shortening the overall course of therapy.
Immediate implant placement and temporization in the anterior region:
- As mentioned, implants can be placed and restored with immediate temporary crown in specific situations. In addition to the above mentioned advantages, temporization helps support the soft tissues and contributes significantly to maximization of esthetic treatment outcomes.
Immediate implant placement at the time of molar extraction:
We are able to place implants in ideal positions at the time of molar extraction most of the time. We follow the most advanced surgical techniques and protocols developed and published regarding immediate implant placement at the time of molar extraction.
Advantages to our approach include:
- These implants are placed in ideal positions, not at compromised angulations.
- The number of surgical visits is shortened for the patient.
- The overall treatment time is lessened.
Communication with the referring doctor:
- Communication regarding emergency patients is carried out as described above.
- When all other patients are seen for consultation visits, the referring doctors are called when the patient is in the chair, if appropriate.
- Consultation letters regarding our findings are sent out within five business days of the consultation visit. Additional letters include update and finished treatment letters at various stages of treatment.
- In complex cases, a treatment plan letter is formulated with the referring doctor or doctors involved in care. We will compile this letter, “run it by” all doctors for their input or modifications, and send it to the patient. This letter serves both as an outline of therapy, and to help avoid any confusion with the patient regarding fees to be charged by us or other doctors involved in the therapy.
- When we take x-rays. An original duplicate copy of these x-rays is immediately emailed to the doctor.
Joint patient treatment planning:
We utilize a number of technologies and instruments to help us and the referring doctors formulate ideal treatment plans for their patients.
- 3D Imaging: We utilize low radiation CBCT scans for patients. This procedure is fast, simple and is delivered at a fraction of the cost at other facilities. The use of the 3D imaging allows us to visualize the available bone more precisely, to place implants in more ideal positions, and to place implants in sites that previously were deemed untreatable.
- Virtual Surgery and Planning Software: We utilize a number of implant placement planning software. The software employed is dependent upon the case to be treated, as each software system presents with pluses and minus’. Utilizing planning software in conjunction with referring dentists to plan ideal implant position ensures both the maximization of treatment outcomes, and a greater ease of restorative procedures for the referring dentists. In addition, temporary fixed prostheses may be fabricated in advance of implant placement where applicable, and easily inserted the day of implant placement.
- We are always available to review patient x-rays and models, and to put together treatment plans with referring doctors. We meet with doctors before and after hours, or during the day for these purposes.
We utilize only the highest quality implant and regenerative materials. No products are employed, including implants and implant designs unless they have been tested and reported on prior to them being available for general utilization.
This technique greatly facilitates extraction and implant procedures, through a form of ultrasonic vibrations. Piezo surgery is a very non traumatic way to section bone or to “free up” fractured roots in sockets. The trauma to the bone is much less than any other available techniques. In addition, the healing response is much better than that of other techniques. Patient discomfort and bone resorption post therapy are minimized.
Growth Factors and Stem Cells:
This material is the next generation of regeneration therapy. The end result is a surgical site, which is rich in hard and soft tissue growth factors and/or stem cells. In contrast to PRP, this material is very easy to handle and is time released over ten to twelve days at the surgical site, significantly accelerating hard and soft tissue healing.
- Procurement of the material is very simple and atraumatic for the patient.
- Hard and soft tissue healing are accelerated. Sites one week post operatively demonstrate the same degree of soft tissue healing as would usually be seen in sites two or three weeks post operatively.
- The quality of wound healing is significantly enhanced.
Although we mostly perform implant surgical therapy, we remain intimately involved in all aspects of care, so as to better assist both the referring doctor and the patient.
- As previously mentioned, we will spend as much time as necessary with the referring doctor examining available treatment options and formulating both ideal and alternative treatment plans.
- We will construct a consultation letter from all practitioners, which is approved by all practitioners. This letter is given to the patient and is an invaluable aid in both case acceptance and the progression of therapy.
We host or speak at evening or full day presentations for our referring doctors / hygienists throughout the year. Presentations are typically held at a local restaurant/hall.
- All aspects of therapy are discussed in presentations about both natural teeth and implants.
- The referring doctor is able to attain CE credits through our programs.
- Various clinical programs are given.
The patient experience:
Our goal is always to afford the patient the most pleasant experience possible while delivering the highest quality care.
- Immediate attentive care is always provided.
- We make every effort to run on schedule.
- We utilize customized patient information brochures and materials to help patients better understand their need for therapy. We also provide these brochures to our referring partners so that they may utilize them to help facilitate their consultation visits with the patients.
- We provide complimentary livery service from the patient’s home to the office and back to the patient’s home on the day of surgery, should the patient so desire. This service eliminates the problem of patients being afraid to drive after having therapy performed; patients having to secure rides from other people; and infirm patients having to get themselves to and from the office.
- Our web site focuses upon patient information and explains therapeutic needs and goals in all types of situations.
- We provide IV sedation to patients who are too nervous to have therapy performed under local anesthesia alone. While such sedation use is not always necessary, as we spend quite a bit of time making patients feel comfortable in our office, IV sedation is available when patients prefer it.